When it comes to buying portable generators, there is an overwhelming variety not only in terms of sizes, capacities and features but also with respect to the fuel used as the power source. Portable gas generators come across as a very attractive option on account of the numerous benefits they offer. For those of you who still cannot figure out the type of generator that would likely be the best for your needs, here is a brief on portable gas generators – its features, downsides and why it can be a suitable option for you. Also, do not forget to check out our recommendations for the best portable gas generator available on the market.
Features of Portable Gas Generators
1. Sizes and capacities: Gas generator units are available in different capacities to suit the power requirements of varied users be it for residential or business purposes. There are certain models that allow you to make minor adjustments to be able to take a larger load. Gas generators are also available in different sizes. Thus, people who are short on space can still enjoy the power backup with the smaller sized models.
2. Fuel availability: Gas generators are powered by gas. It is readily available at local gas stations and can be procured easily. The fuel used is not as expensive as others such as propane. Gas fuel can also be stored at home for easy and convenient refueling
3. Ease of portability: This point may sound absurd because we’re talking about choosing the best portable gas generator. However, we mention this about other alternatives such as diesel. Diesel units are heavier and do not offer the same flexibility as gas generators when it comes to transporting. Gas generators can be carried around easily as they are light weight. When looking for the best portable gas generator, you will observe that most models have a wheel mount. It is best to choose them.
4. Environmental friendly: The gas generators can be considered environmental friendly to a certain extent. It emits less smoke than diesel generators and has a comparatively quieter run. Thus, you can choose gas over diesel if you want the generator unit to be the quietest in addition to the best portable gas generator available.
5. Reliability: Portable gas generators also score with their reliability.
6. Best application: Considering the output per gallon, gas generators are recommended for residential use where generators are purchased as a backup in case of a sudden power failure. As far as the work sphere is concerned, it can be beneficial where a backup is required for a relatively short period to prevent systems from crashing or the loss of important data. However, considering the low energy efficiency (output per gallon) it may not be suited in areas that require extended hours of backup for heavy work.
7. Price: Among the diesel, gas, propane and natural gas generator options, gas generators are the least expensive. This factor makes it popular especially for residential use. Some of the best portable gas generators lie in the range between $300 and $3000.
What are the Major Downsides of a Portable Gas Generator?
The downsides that we shall discuss are its shortcomings in relation to other alternatives such as diesel generators. Some of the major downsides are as follows:
- It requires greater maintenance.
- Gas generators are not as energy efficient as diesel models. The fuel consumption is greater and requires repeated refills at shorter intervals of time.
- Another limitation regarding the use of gas generators is that there may be restrictions in certain areas over the amount of gasoline one can store in their homes.
Choosing the Best Portable Gas Generator for Your Home
It is very disappointing when your hard-earned money is spent on something worthless. So, these are some of the tips to keep in mind if you want to secure only the best portable gas generator for your home.
The first step is deciding how much energy you will need based on the appliances the generator will power in the event of a power outage. It is best to check customer reviews to identify how the generator performs under different circumstances. The next factor you need to inquire about is the run cycle – the amount of time it will run for a specific amount of fuel.
The noise factor is another major concern for many. The cheaper models tend to produce more noise while there are some models that have the added muffler that slightly tones down the noise produced.
Most importantly, the price – how much are you willing to pay. There is no doubt about it that you will get hold of really powerful machines with a higher budget. But don’t worry as there are some great low and mid priced options as far as quality, reliability and performance are concerned.
Best Portable Gas Generator: Our Recommendations
Here are the top three highest rated portable gas generators in the market:
- No.1 – DuroStar DS4000s: This is a top of the line product that can be used as the perfect backup in home environments, at camp sites, for sporting events, in RVs and work places. This gas powered generator boasts of a 7.0 horsepower air cooled overhead valve engine. It delivers 3,300 constant running power while the max AC output is 4000 watts. It clocks a run time of 8 hours at 50% load and with fuel measuring 4 gallons.
- No. 2 – Yamaha EF2000iSv2: The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is regarded as one of the best inverter style generator powered by gas. It stands out for its ergonomic and compact design, powerful performance and energy efficiency. Weighing just 44.1 pounds it can be carried around easily and works uninterrupted for approximately 101/2 hours.
- No. 3 – DuroMax MX4500E: The DuroMax MX4500E is a powerful and durable portable gas generator that can be used both in commercial areas and for household applications. It produces 3500 watts of continuous power. The compact and heavy duty steel frame with isolated motor mount ensures quieter operation.
You can buy a portable gas generator at your local hardware store or home supply stores or directly from the manufacturing company. Shopping online will give you access to a larger variety of gas generators from different brands.